Musings on knitting, crochet, and a fairly loopy life.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

farmisht, farshimmelt and farblongid

Three Yiddish words meaning confused, befuddled, completely lost. If knitting is a barometer of one's state of mind, those words describe me completely. I'm all over the place, juggling too many to-do's, and accomplishing little or nothing on each.

I've got five different knitting or crocheting projects in process right now.

There's my Master Knitter course. I've completed all my swatches, but only have 2 of the 15 blocked. I haven't finished answering the questions, and I haven't begun knitting the hat for it.

There's my 2010 Afghan Knit Along. I guess that one's moving at the speed it's meant to ... one to two blocks per month. I have April's primary block knit, but not blocked, and I'm trying to decide whether to knit the second, optional block for this month as well.

There's this cabled bag that I'm designing myself - as I go. I started it three times before I finally came up with a pleasing design that's also engineered correctly.

There is a 7-square project I'm crocheting: one square for each week during which the Torah instructs Jews to count the "omer." Each week during the sefirot (count), one of God's seven defined attributes is explored, with each day within the week also exploring how one of the seven fits into the week's attribute. The Kabbalah designates a part of the body, a word, and a color to each attribute. Last week's attribute was Chesed, or Lovingkindness. It's color is white. This week is Binah (Might), which is supposed to be red. I don't have any red yarn. When I finish the squares, I'm mailing them to a Ravelry friend who is going to send them to the Children of Pine Ridge group, where they'll be joined into afghans and sent on to kids in need.

Finally, there's a spring/summer scarf I'm knitting for a Stashbuster Swap. This project is moving along slower than sludge. It's really pretty, but I'm just not enjoying working with the yarn, so I keep avoiding it. But this one is time-sensitive (as are the Omer squares), and I've got to get two projects prepared for the swap.

I flit from project to project like a bee in a patch of clover, finishing a row here, a square there, but not really completing anything. I'm unfocused and scattered. It's knitting ADD, but it's really just a symptom of my life in general these days.

No comments: