Musings on knitting, crochet, and a fairly loopy life.

Monday, May 3, 2010

the kitsch kollection

I couldn't help myself. I had to do it. I was surfing the net, looking for crocheted hat patterns and this one popped up. I had to have one.

We all had one of these growing up. The toilet roll topper that someone's grandmother crocheted for them. Come on ... admit it ... you had one too. When I saw the pattern, all I could think was "What a perfect solution for my bathroom!" You see, my bathroom is an itty bitty little thing, with very little storage space. The only logical place to stash extra toilet rolls would be in the vanity, but that's pretty much filled up. So we keep our extras stored in the linen closet, which is in my bedroom at the opposite end of the hall. Very inconvenient if you run out of paper before you're done.

So I've started keeping an extra roll on an open shelf. But it kind of skeeves me out knowing that there's dust collecting on it while it's waiting for its time to go to work. And then I saw the pattern, and all of a sudden I understood why all our mothers just had to have one of these things.

Or maybe I'm justifying. Maybe I wanted it because it's a connection to a more innocent time in my life. Or maybe it's that perverse part of me that really wants a black cat clock with a swinging tail for my kitchen. I know it's kitschy, and that's why I like it.

Now, what's the use of being a fiber artist if you can't crochet yourself a toilet roll top hat? So Friday night I threw this little baby together and put it to work in my bathroom Saturday morning. The best part of all came when my husband went into the bathroom for the first time after I set it up and laughed long and hard. My kids ran to see what was so damn funny, only they didn't get the joke. That only made it better: a little private joke between the old folks in the house.

I could have saved this photo for my ABC-Along K picture: "k is for kitsch," but I really wanted to post it now as a little lighthearted touch after all those days of esoteric religious rambling.

And I'm putting out a warning to all my friends and family: don't piss me off between now and December, or you may just find yourself on the receiving end of one of these for the holidays.

No comments: