Musings on knitting, crochet, and a fairly loopy life.

Monday, March 1, 2010

patience is a virtue

The other day big sis said to me that she wishes she could knit or crochet, but she doesn't have the patience for it. I'm not sure if I responded or not, but I know what I was thinking: I don't have the patience not to knit.

I can't watch TV without doing something else at the same time. I learned a long time ago that unless my hands are busy, they're going to be filled with food, which will then make its way into my mouth and settle permanently on my thighs. I can't stand waiting for Ian to be dismissed, or sitting in a doctor's waiting room without something to do. Reading is one option. Knitting and crocheting is another. 

Last week, I had to attend a terminally boring professional development conference. I used the morning session to catch up on paperwork, and the afternoon session to work out a pattern for a crocheted flower I want to put on a necklace. One of the women sitting at my table got really excited and told me that I need to put flowers like that on pony tail elastics, because she would totally buy them. She said she wears a pony tail every day, and currently spends $12.00 for similar elastics that look cheap and machine made. Looks like my patience for knitting and crocheting (or my lack of patience for attending to nonsense) could serve me well.

1 comment:

Soto Sister said...

That's a fabulous idea! It would make a ponytail look more "finished" without looking child-like. I love it!