Musings on knitting, crochet, and a fairly loopy life.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

holy stitches, batman!

Thanks to everyone for your tips on how to make the pictures of my fingerless gloves look better.  I totally forgot that my cousin/step-sister (long story) -- hereafter called "Step-Cuz" -- is a brilliant graphic designer who has experience photographing merchandise for catalogues. She's offered her support and some really expert advice, and ...  tomorrow we're having a snow day! School's closed! Woo-hoo!

That being the case, I'm going to try to take new pictures, Photoshop them if needed, and then run them past Step-Cuz before I post them again.

On another note, I'm creating a slideshow of six centuries of paintings depicting knitters. Once finished, I'll try to post it or link it to this blog. In the meantime, here's one of the earliest known depictions of a knitter in Western art.
It's a detail from Visit of the Angel, from the right wing of the Buxtehude Altar in Germany. It was painted by Master Bertram of Mindan from 1400-1410. The Buxtehude Madonna is sitting in her garden with her Child. She is knitting a seamless garment in the round as two angels approach.

The Madonna is knitting as she receives holy messengers? There's the proof (as if we needed it) that knitting is a sacred pursuit.

No comments: