Musings on knitting, crochet, and a fairly loopy life.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

my favorite loop

One of my favorite places to walk is the trail at the Salt Marsh Nature Center at Marine Park. The one-mile loop meanders through 530 acres of grassland and salt marsh. It's in no way a challenging trail; in fact, except for one small plateau, it's completely flat. But it is truly a miracle in the middle of the city. For long stretches of the trail, you can completely forget you're in an urban environment. Surrounded by marsh grasses that are taller than the average basketball star, you hear nothing but the crunch of gravel beneath your feet and the lap of water. On an average summer day I've spotted ducks, geese, egrets, and red-winged blackbirds. I'm told you can see marsh hawks there, but I haven't come across them yet. I have seen butterflies bursting from their chrysalises, dragonflies resting on flowers, and rabbits scooting across my path. It is one of the most peaceful yet vital oases I know, and I feel blessed to have it less than 3 blocks from my home.

No comments: