Musings on knitting, crochet, and a fairly loopy life.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

repentance and reformation

My former tank has taken the next steps toward becoming a useful member of society again. While watching the Olympics, I spent two hours (!!!) untangling the ramen noodles and turning them into matzo balls.
Then it was time to move on to the swift. Interesting fact: in the 18th and 19th centuries, yarn swifts were often made of whale ivory. Mine is simple but renewable bamboo.

Not only is wrapping yarn around a swift a vast improvement over making a beloved family member sit with their hands held stiffly in front of them for hours, but it's also a wonderful way to help the kids pass a snowy day.

After the yarn was wrapped around the swift, I tied it off and moved it into a cool, soothing bath, then hung it from the shower head to stretch and dry. I wound up placing some jars in the bottoms of the loops to weight them down, but I didn't get pictures of that.

My yarn is now dry, and ready to be rewound into center-pull balls. Its rehabilitation is almost complete. Our marathon event is almost over.

No comments: